Monday, September 5, 2011

Lab 2

Lab 2 Video

Lab 2 was very intense for me.  I brought three objects: a baby brush given to me at my birth, my favorite childhood stuffed extra-terrestrial, (E.T.) and a pillow my late grandmother had needle-pointed for me when I was born.  At first, the rehearsal and the work created was about my childhood, having been known as Sam, my first name, until I went off to college at 18.  Later on in the rehearsal, the subject changed to my late grandmother who died over fifteen years ago and with whom I was very close.  I had a conversation with my mother about her, realizing that I knew very little about her besides the fact that she was my grandmother and she loved Thanksgiving and called me Sambo.  I learned about her college experience, her battle with breast cancer, and a slew of other personal information that my mother requested I keep within the family.  I found myself really missing her; something I haven't done for over a decade.  It was interesting that this happened for me now, considering that my grandfather, her husband, died less than a year ago.  In the end, there was some beautiful material, but I don't think I want to use any of it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment