Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dance Review

Strange Angels - Heather Pultz

I saw this piece on November 22nd at the Lisner Auditorium at George Washington University in Washington DC.  I thought the piece was very pretty, but I felt that it lacked depth.  It was pretty girls in pretty dresses doing pretty movements; nothing more.  I would challenge Ms. Pultz to focus less on lines and technique and focus more on character and intention.  I didn't feel like any of the dancers knew why they were there or what they were doing, besides (obviously) dancing.  The title I also didn't understand, because there was nothing strange about the piece.  I would have welcomed strange, but unfortunately it felt a bit too safe.  I didn't love it and I didn't hate it, but I would have welcomed a strong reaction either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment